Monday, August 9, 2010

The Family Ward

So this weekend I was hanging out with a friend of a friend who happens to be mormon. She was telling a story where she metioned she was at the "singles ward service". This got my attention. I had to ask her what exactly the "singles ward" was. She explained to me that once a mormon turns 18 they can go to a singles ward church service with other single mormons instead of going to a church service with their family. She then explained to me that the singles ward is only for those who are between the ages of 18 and 30 and single (obviously). I then asked her what happens when a person turns 30 and is still single, to which she responded you have to go back to the family ward. This makes me sad. Basicaly if you are over 30 and single, you have to be humiliated and "go back to the family ward." I dont know why, but this has really been bothering me. No wonder mormons get married so young, they don't want to be embarassed and have to go back to the family ward.

I have nothing against the mormon religion. I'm just glad that my religion allows me to go to church with everyone, no matter what age we are!

Song of the Day: Club Can't Handle Me by Flo Rida, I watched Step Up 3D last night and really loved this song when I heard it!

6 comments:

  1. That's a bit disturbing. But seeing as how they are supposed to start popping out kids asap it makes sense in their eyes.

    There's so much pressure in this world to be "normal" or like everyone else. Just be happy with where you are at now and everything will fall into place as it should.

    Easier said than done :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the insightful words sister. you should write a book. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow, didn't know those were the rules!
    i thought going to a church was all about God, but now it's like a dating site? how do you focus on God when you're too worried about scoping out the other singles? i guess i just don't know how they conduct their services.
    i also guess it's probably better to meet at church than at a bar or something, right?

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's why I'm just going to stick to catholicsingles.com! I always thought the bar was a great place to meet someone..maybe that's my problem... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is such an interesting post i might have to write a story about it. thanks melissa! thanks mormons for being stuck in the 19th century.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Please do Rach! I was so bothered by this..everyone was getting irritated with me for continuosuly bringing it up to everyone I saw the next few days!

    ReplyDelete